Welcome to Decoded Science! The below should include most of the information you’ll need as a writer for this site. As always, if you have any questions, just email and ask.
If you’ve recently been accepted as a Decoded Science writer, check out the Getting Started guide to learn about the next steps in the process.
Quotas: There are none. Submit as often or as little as you like.
General Expertise vs. Specialization
Decoded Science is not a general-interest site. In order to publish in any given area, you need to make sure that your bio reflects your experience/expertise in that area. In other words, if you are accepted to write for the site based on the fact that you’re a medical doctor, please don’t submit articles about climate change. If you’re accepted based on your doctorate in particle physics, please don’t submit articles about curing ingrown toenails. If you have questions about this policy, please contact me. Email Admin
You must submit a profile to editorial prior to submitting any articles. At a minimum, you must submit:
- A clear photo or portrait of your face (Don’t have a headshot? Don’t worry – I can assist with cropping if necessary)
- A bio that includes a list of your qualifications/experience/education on a science topic
Please format your list of qualifications in third-person Bio format. (Dr. Johnson holds a PhD in Neuroscience from Harvard University, and currently has a private Neurology practice in San Diego, California.)
Decoded Science Writer Revenue
- How will you earn, on Decoded Science? That depends. Inactive writers, defined as writers who do not submit an article after 1 November, 2012, will receive a portion of the Decoded Science Adsense revenue from the banner ad at the top of the site, based on their total number of articles, in proportion to the total articles by other inactive writers currently existing on the site. The new banner ad, located at the top of the page, is exclusively for the writers, and all revenue earned via that ad will go directly to writers. Inactive writers also have the option of providing their Adsense code, to receive the adsense revenue directly from the banner ad located on their own articles. Active writers, who publish articles on or after November 1, 2012, will be paid an up-front fee of 5$ per published article, and will have the option to receive the adsense directly from the banner ad located on their own articles through the insertion of their own ad code.
- Setting Up Adsense: If you have an Adsense account, email Admin with: Your Adsense Code and the Ad ID for a 468X60 text and image banner ad – you will receive 100% of the Adsense revenue for the banner ad displayed in each of your articles. You will also need to insert the ad code in the Dashboard widget labeled Decoded Science Adsense. (Author Adsense Tutorial) If you’re not sure how to set this up, email Admin for assistance.
- Payout: Writers will be paid by PayPal within the 1st 7 days of the month if they have accrued 10$ or more by the end of the previous month.
- Ebooks: Profits from ebooks published by Decoded Science will be divided as follows: 80% for the author, 20% for Decoded Science. (We do not apply any charge for cover design, editing, formatting or other publishing costs unless you choose to withdraw the book from the Decoded Science label, but distributors, sales affiliates, or other platforms may take a slice of the pie before it comes to us.)
- Referrals: Know someone who might be interested in applying to write for Decoded Science? Email Admin with his or her clips and/or credentials, or have the referred person mention you in his or her application. You will receive an incentive bonus of 5$ for every referred writer who successfully applies and publishes at least one article on Decoded Science.